The school was founded by the Sisters of Mercy who came to Macroom in 1865. Beginning with a school of nine pupils, the Sisters have worked tirelessly over the last 140 years to provide an education to several generations of young people. The people of the town and surrounding areas are very grateful to the Sisters of Mercy for the immense contribution they have made to the Macroom area. Today, the school has a population of three hundred and forty students and is tremendously proud of its academic results and other achievements in both co- curricular and extra curricular activities.
Nearly 300 pupils attend our school: boys and girls up to second class, and all girls from second to Sixth Class. Pupils from twelve different countries attend our school. It is situated in the in Macroom town near the St. Colman’s Parish Church.
Education at St.Joseph's Primary School, Macroom is concerned with the all-round total development of your child, which includes social, academic, moral, spiritual, physical, aesthetic and emotional elements.
De la Salle College Macroom is a voluntary secondary boys' school that caters for approximately 300 students. It is situated at the Western end of the town, with the entrance off New Street. Although there are no longer any members of the De la Salle order present, the ethos that they established in 1934 still informs all aspects of school life.